Rev C board

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Rev C board

Postby garageguy55 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Finally got all the parts together and will soon start assembly - but I need help on a few items -
donor power transformer from dynaco sca35 - primary has black, black/white. violet, and violet/white wires instead of the usual two black ones how should it be wired
board ground - is it through the six mounting points? if not how should the board be grounded?
Would appreciate any help - Thanks
garageguy55

Re: Rev C board

Postby Writer Frog » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Welcome to DIYTube!
You have a dual 120V/240V power transformer. See below:
As for grounding the board, a proper method depends on whether you have insulated RCA input jacks or not, and whether you have a metallic chassis. I prefer to keep the signal ground separate from the chassis ground, but I like to defer this to someone who has actually built an amp with the rev c board.
/Matt
Writer Frog

Re: Rev C board

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Writer Frog wrote:I prefer to keep the signal ground separate from the chassis ground, but I like to defer this to someone who has actually built an amp with the rev c board.

I've got a Rev C around here somewhere...

I didn't pay any particular attention to the grounding scheme. This amp is quiet as a stone. No hum. I can try to take better photos or resistance measurements if you like.

The aluminum chassis is powder coated, which most likely insulates it rather effectively from just about everything. The line power comes in through an IEC module. Judging by my photo, it appears I neglected to connect the safety ground to anything. The RCA input jacks are isolated from the chassis by means of fiber washers, as if the powder coat wasn't enough.

Maybe this is an example of "do as I say, not as I do." Clearly I've violated just a few safety rules here, though I suppose it's no worse than a stock 1960's unit. It is awfully quiet....
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to stereo 35