EL84 shoot-out !

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Postby DerekVa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 pm

I'd have to look it up in my garage, but I believe I have an EL84 shootout in a back issue of Vacuum Tube Valley. If I find it, I'll scan it and link to it.

-D
DerekVa

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:32 pm

DerekVa wrote:I guess I know who to bother about local (US) sources of 6pi14pi tubes now. ;-)

How many, and what type do you need? I've got plain ones, -EV, and my favorites the -K. ;-)

"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby DerekVa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:
DerekVa wrote:I guess I know who to bother about local (US) sources of 6pi14pi tubes now. ;-)

How many, and what type do you need? I've got plain ones, -EV, and my favorites the -K. ;-)

Is it a direct plug-in replacement for an EL84, or do you have to tweak the PSU? How much for a quad of the -K?
DerekVa

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm

DerekVa wrote:Is it a direct plug-in replacement for an EL84, or do you have to tweak the PSU?

Near as I can tell, the 6pi14pi-K is pretty much the same, electrically and mechanically, as the vanilla 6pi14pi. It should just plug straight into an EL84 amp and bias up normally. They're supposed to have some kind of spiral wound vibration resistant something or other inside, but I can't see anything through the tiny holes. I like them just because you don't come across them all that often and they've got the neat CCCP logo. I've got two quads from the mid '70s. I don't recall what I paid for my set, but I see there are a couple sellers on the 'Bay right now ($31/quad or $53/eight).
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Previous

Return to stereo 35