ST35 input sensitivity

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

ST35 input sensitivity

Postby mesherm » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:19 pm

I've looked everywhere twice now so I guess I will risk asking a stupid question: what is the input sensitivity of the ST35 rev D ?
I have to make some design decisions for the line preamp board I am building to integrate into my ST35.
I've already decided to add capability to split the preamp section from the ST35 section via RCAs in back and use DPST reed relays for switching inputs. It is rapidly approaching chassis building time.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Re: ST35 input sensitivity

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:46 am

mesherm wrote:I've looked everywhere twice now so I guess I will risk asking a stupid question: what is the input sensitivity of the ST35 rev D ?
I have to make some design decisions for the line preamp board I am building to integrate into my ST35.
I've already decided to add capability to split the preamp section from the ST35 section via RCAs in back and use DPST reed relays for switching inputs. It is rapidly approaching chassis building time.

1Vrms for full clipping and 850Vrms for 14.5W. Not a stupid question at all.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: ST35 input sensitivity

Postby Thermion » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:30 am

mesherm wrote:I have to make some design decisions for the line preamp board I am building to integrate into my ST35.

Unless you are using very old source components, you should not need a separate line pre-amp. As Shannon points out, 1 Vrms input will get you to clipping. Why not add the switching and and volume control to the ST35 circuit?

JT
Thermion

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:08 pm

Somehow from the start I had it in my pea brain that I would need a preamp section but you do have a valid point. It is not too late at this point to scrap the preamp section for a later project and just use a 100k Log pot as suggested. It would solve some chassis problems also.
Thanks

Return to stereo 35