Z-565 Windup

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Z-565 Windup

Postby Geek » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:06 am

Thanks to Ed, I was able to bring you this for your info :-)

This little tranny was a heckuva lot better built than the couple A-470's I unwound... winding-to-winding consistency was within two turns of each other.

Different manufacturers or years or something?

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Happy Houdini...

Postby EWBrown » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 am

This particular trannie was one of the vinyl-lead Japanese made ones, perhaps their trannie-winding company was a bit more diligent. I wonder if the trannie-winder could have been Tamura or Tango, perhaps...

/ed B in NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Z-565 Windup

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:39 pm

If anyone has a good use for them, I have two more original Dynaco Z565s, which have high DC resistance measurements across half of the primary,
probably one of the paralleled windings is open or has a bad internal connection. I hate to just "toss" them. :/ *)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:00 pm

I have no time for rewinding anymore :(
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby paart » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Over the years, I've read that there were two variations of the Z565: 1/ The original US made units with cloth leads, and 2/ Japanese made transformers identifiable by vinyl covered leads. I have examples of each of these, and a third with both cloth leads and vinyl covered leads! Unless anyone has additional information, I'm going to guess that the US manufacturer was slowly changing over to vinyl insulation, before the source was changed to the Japanese firm.

I have never noticed any sound quality difference between the types, nor have I ever seen others comment on it.
Years ago, John Atwood presented an extensive evaluation of OTs used in major manufacturer's tube amps. The Z565 was given the paper's "A" or highest rating. The other Dynaco offerings were generally rated somewhat lower.
paart

Return to stereo 35