Edcor.....3 to 4 weeks for order to ship

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Edcor.....3 to 4 weeks for order to ship

Postby atwageman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Ordered a power transformer from them today. While on the phone the lady I spoke with stated they are running 3 to 4 weeks out on shipping out orders. I'm sure happy its not a kidney I'm waiting on. lol
atwageman

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:10 pm

That's completely normal for them. I believe everything is wound to order, and the queue is always about four weeks long. Request their dimensional drawings (via email, or poke around on the website) and you can figure out where to poke the mounting holes in the chassis. You've got some time to get the layout designed.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby atwageman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Its no big deal, besides it will give me some time to deal with other projects.
atwageman

Postby EWBrown » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:40 pm

My last tranny order, earlier this year, took just about exactly four weeks from when I made the phone call, until they arrived at my door.

They do not stock any of the tube amp power or output trannies, everything is made on order.

If you ever need an "odd" power trannie, they'll do it as a custom job, and thereafter, it becomes a listed item. I'm sure the same applies to OPTs as well

/ed B in NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby atwageman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:16 pm

EWBrown wrote:My last tranny order, earlier this year, took just about exactly four weeks from when I made the phone call, until they arrived at my door.

They do not stock any of the tube amp power or output trannies, everything is made on order.

If you ever need an "odd" power trannie, they'll do it as a custom job, and thereafter, it becomes a listed item. I'm sure the same applies to OPTs as well

/ed B in NC

Thats why I like Edcor, their willingness to do custom orders and not require you to order a minimum. Unless its changed, I think hammond requires you to commit to a 20pc minimum before they will even consider doing something custom.
atwageman

Postby Geek » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 pm

atwageman wrote:Unless its changed, I think hammond requires you to commit to a 20pc minimum before they will even consider doing something custom.

They told me 50 :-(
(but I had the whole year to take delivery of them)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:58 pm

I've been considering asking Edcor about making a power trannie for a 2A3 based "G*S*G", basically similar in character to a PA-774 but with two 2.5VAC, 3A and one 6.3V, 3A filament winding, in addition to the 330-0-330VAC @ 180 mA HV secondary Maybe add a 5V filament winding, and lower the 6.3V current to an amp, just for the VA driver tube(s).

Or perhaps lower the HV winding as required for using SS rectifiers for the B+.

Or perhaps get "fancy" and have two separate untapped HV secondaries, and use FWB with them, for a "dual mono" SET.

/ed B .
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:55 pm

That transformer sounds like a good idea Ed. I've built quite a few g*s*g's ... I had hoped to sell a lot of them, since they are an easy build and sound good. Unfortunately, the 6B4G isn't a household word and many guys are looking for 2A3s. The 6AX5 rectifier is supposedly good for about 100 ma, they seem to be plentiful and hold up well, I don't mind staying with them.
I didn't look at pinouts, but I guess if a GZ-34 would drop in the socket, the 6V/5V idea is even better.
A design with all Edcor iron would be interesting.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Quad » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:40 pm

With dual primaries please!
Quad
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:19 am

The 6AX5 (and 6X5) has a different pinout than the standard "2-4-6-8" of most standard octal 5V rectifier tubes, so that wouldn't work without some etch chopping.

Dual primaries, naturally ;-) Maybe even with the 100-110-120VAC taps to make them truly universal.

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Brik » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 am

I ordered the Edcor XPWR132 for a "future" SET 300B project earlier this year. The lady who answered the phone had a delightful British accent.
The phone-call-to-delivery time was 4 weeks and 2 days to North Eastern Massachusetts.

360-0-360V @300mA
6.3V @2A CT
2 x 5.0V @3A CT

Single Primary 120V

We could use another 5V winding for tube rectification, though.

Well, anyhow, time to stuff the turkey....
Last edited by Brik on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
/b
Brik

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:53 am

EWBrown wrote:The 6AX5 (and 6X5) has a different pinout than the standard "2-4-6-8" of most standard octal 5V rectifier tubes, so that wouldn't work without some etch chopping.

What if the board jumpered 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8? Could that work?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

looks good.

Postby EWBrown » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:19 pm

That's what happens when I try to fly by memory alone D'Oh!!!!

That should work, since with the 2A3s, the 6VDC 6B4G filaments aren't being used, so the 6SL7 and the rectifier tube each have their own separate AC power connections.

(jumper 3 to 4; 5 to 6; and 7 to 8) Probably could emulate a 5DJ4 and connect 1 to 2 as well...

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby DerekVa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:57 pm

I just ordered an XPWR139 (special non-listed custom PT for the Millett DCPP amplifier) and was told (in that plummy British accent), "Lead time is 3-4 weeks...Merry Christmas!"

All in all, they seem like a class act. I hope to do more business with them in the future.

-D
DerekVa

Postby EWBrown » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 am

This time around might takle a bit longer, as thh Christmas / New Years holidays will slow things up a bit, especially if they take the entire week off. Plus the delivery services will be overloaded with yhe Christmas shipping rush.

So, don't panic if it doesn't land on your doorstep on Dec 29th. ;-)

I'll hold off on any more Edcor orders until next year. I still have yet to figure out exactly what I need on the previously mentioned power trannie, before taking the plunge. Also I should go over their product list with a fine-tooth comb, just in case they already have one already listed. I'm sure that I'm not the first one to think up such a requirement...

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Next

Return to stereo 35