Rev. B questions, capacitor opinions

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Rev. B questions, capacitor opinions

Postby Bottlehead » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:27 am

I've been down with a bad back this week and organized all my parts boxes, something about two years overdue. I found a rev. B Baby Blue I forgot I owned. I built a previous rev. B some time back and only sold it to finance a rev. D with gourmet parts and a nicer chassis that I'm just getting around to building.

I've got all the generic components and iron I need to stuff a rev. B so I'll put it together. My question is about any recommended circuit changes I should make based on more recent knowledge--the filter section is different (8 220uf caps on "b" vs. 4 120uf on "d"), the common grounding is different, some options are different, I just wanted to know if anyone had put a B version together and thought, "I wish I had known then what I know now."

Also I found bags of NOS caps I picked up from a service store sellout. I've got blister-packed films and electrolytics I'm not familiar with--the film caps are .033-1.0 Spraque "Q-Line," they look like rectangular Orange Drops, with epoxy cases in lower values. The electrolytics are axial Spragues with white aluminum cases labelled "Sprague 30D" in assorted values. I'll meter all the caps and use them within tolerance anyway, I just wanted to know if these are regarded as decent caps, middle-of-the-road or avoid at all cost.

Thanks for any responses.
Bottlehead

Re: Rev. B questions, capacitor opinions

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:06 am

Bottlehead wrote:I've got all the generic components and iron I need to stuff a rev. B so I'll put it together. My question is about any recommended circuit changes I should make based on more recent knowledge--the filter section is different (8 220uf caps on "b" vs. 4 120uf on "d"), the common grounding is different, some options are different, I just wanted to know if anyone had put a B version together and thought, "I wish I had known then what I know now."

As far as I know, there aren't any changes in the latest revisions that affect the Rev B.

Don't you just love finding stuff you forgot you had?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35