Suggestions for stereo tuner and phono preamp?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Suggestions for stereo tuner and phono preamp?

Postby dcriner » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:37 pm

I have an H.H. Scott stereo amp with 7199s in push-pull. Works fine. The speakers are above average.

I want to add a phono preamp and an FM tuner, either modern or vintage. They needn't be all that high end, particularly the tuner. I'm looking for something less than $300 for the preamp and less than $200 for the tuner. Preferably models that are readily available.

Suggestions?
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Solid state, or vacuum tube? There's a couple people here (myself included) who use an Adcom preamp and/or tuner with their vacuum tube power amps.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby dcriner » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:23 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:Solid state, or vacuum tube?
I'm open to either.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby tomlang » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 pm

There are some that say the Sony XDRF1HD is possibly the best tuner ever -- at any price.....$86 at amazon.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=198024
tomlang

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Take a look at the Adcoms. They're certainly cheap enough in the used market. I'm reasonably happy with my GTP-500 (or is it a GTP-500II?). My only wish would be that it were quieter. I've moved to high efficiency speakers, and while my amplifier is stone quiet, the Adcom adds an ever so slight background hiss. I very seldom use the tuner on mine, but I like the phono preamp and the remote. If I wanted to buy another today, I'd go for either the GFP-710 or the GFP-715.

I've got an extra GTP-450 around. The balance control is a little wonky - right in the center there is a little scratchy spot. Turn it just a hair to either side and all is perfect. I tried to shoot some DeOxit in there, but it's tough to get easy access. I've got the factory remote, but the 450 has no phono inputs. I'll sell it to you for a good price if you're interested.

Here's an old thread where we discussed a couple preamp options, Adcoms included.

http://diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=806
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby tomlang » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:14 pm

If dcriner does not want I would be interested as I do NOT want a phono input and do want a remote, thanks.
tomlang

Postby dcriner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Tuner-wise, I'm going with the $86 Sony XDRF1HD. Here are links to two technical reviews:

http://www.rwonline.com/article/71710 (by an FM broadcast engineer)

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm (by a ham radio geek, seemingly with lots of test equipment)

The second link describes many tweaks, some of which I will want to incorporate. The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a cold, snowy winter for the upper Midwest - so I should have time to do some tweaking.

You can buy the service manual from the Sony parts store at: http://promotions.partstore.com/Brand-L ... DQod9AgYjA Order part # 988797201.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby dcriner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:21 am

I received my Sony XDR-F1HD tuner. It knocks the socks off my two other tuners, a Kenwood and a Technics, for sensitivity, fidelity, and quietness.

My two favorite FM stations (classical) are both 50+ miles away. With just the cheapo folded dipole antenna (thumbtacked up) that came with the tuner, the reception is loud and clear, with no stereo hiss. (My other two tuners run off a Yagi antenna in the attic, so they have the advantage, antenna-wise.)

I haven't tried FM HD much yet - mostly just analog. The only HD station I get is rock - but it comes in fine.

AM is nothing to write home about - OK for talk radio, which is about all there is anyway.

For less than $90 (from Amazon), including free shipping, this thing is a winner.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Vintage Tuner

Postby spamer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 pm

For a vintage tuner under $200, I like the Sansui TU-717.
spamer

Postby DerekVa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:02 pm

If you don't mind spending a little $$$, I've been very pleased with the Gram Amp 2 SE - it's a great little phono preamp from the UK. Do a search for it and you'll find a lot of glowing reviews.

-D
DerekVa

Return to stereo 35