Routing Wires

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Routing Wires

Postby DortoH » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:03 pm

I am in the planning stage of my own DIY ST35 clone.

I'd like to change the layout of the tubes a bit for aesthetics. Using some chassis mount 9 pin sockets and run wire to the point on the PCB.

Only question is, what the proper way would be to avoid noise pickup.

Any suggestions?
DortoH

Postby DortoH » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:54 pm

One other thing, just out of curiosity, why the terminal strips? Why no solder to the PCB?
DortoH

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:34 pm

DortoH wrote:One other thing, just out of curiosity, why the terminal strips? Why no solder to the PCB?

You could solder directly to the PCB if you wanted to. Many experienced audio DIY builders generally like using terminal strips or connectors because these make it easy to remove the PCB from the chassis for modifications/upgrades, move the entire amplifier into another case, or replace the PCB with an upgraded version later on. Flexibility.

Re: Routing Wires

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:28 pm

DortoH wrote:I'd like to change the layout of the tubes a bit for aesthetics. Using some chassis mount 9 pin sockets and run wire to the point on the PCB.

Only question is, what the proper way would be to avoid noise pickup.

Any suggestions?

Be very careful how you route your filament wires. Definitely twist those wires together and keep them from touching the other wires. I also would highly recommend tying all your grounds to the PCB and not do a star ground on the chassis. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35