Rev D project finished and kicking!

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Got my ST35 Rev D up and running too.

Postby Herb W » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:50 am

I assembled my ST35 Rev D last weekend, following the instructions in Shannon's manual. It came right up and sounds fantastic! Got all of the small parts from Mouser, tubes and sockets from Antique, and the Hammond chassis and transformers from Angela. All orders arrived on time with no problems. My only suggestion for the manual is to include the 0.05uF 1KV capacitor in the parts list; it is needed across the power switch to eliminate the "pop" when the unit is turned off (it is currently a suggested part). To increase the "wife acceptance factor" I used the gray color painted steel Hammand chassis (instead of plain aluminum), and its matching cage cover. (I would have picked the black color if I had to do it over again - it better matches some of my other components, such as the CD player). I installed the volume control (as per the parts list) and am using the ST35 as an one-input integrated amp (with my Marantz CD/SACD player as the source). Again, the sound is fantastic! The music is clearer, richer, smoother and more detailed (we hear sounds of background instruments clearer now than before). (We were using the NAD 320BEE solid state integrated stereo amp before).
Herb W

Return to stereo 35