Any feedback on Z565-48 yet?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Any feedback on Z565-48 yet?

Postby Uncle Ned » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:35 pm

We've shipped 7 pairs of those new Z565-48 DynaClone transformers so far, has anyone got their unit up & running and can give me a little field report on how you liked them?

Thanks!
Ned Carlson
www.tubezone.net
SW Side of Chicago,IL USA
Uncle Ned

RSN

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:27 am

I have a pair (plus one prototype thru e-bay) coming soon, I'll let you know how they work out. I have an amp ready to go, it currently has Hammond 1620s, those will be replaced with the new ones.

The 1620s will find a new home in a future project...

ed brown in NH

update: The trannies arrived Friday July 9th, I'll try to get them into an amp this week, as time allows.
Last edited by EWBrown on Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Uncle Ned » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:27 pm

Just for the sake of discussion I compiled the data Mr. Parks generated on various transformers and compiled it into 2 PDF files:
http://triodeel.com/pdf/Z565-48.pdf
http://triodeel.com/pdf/xfmrshootout.pdf
Ned Carlson
www.tubezone.net
Uncle Ned

Sounds great!

Postby EWBrown » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:22 am

I finally got around to installing the Z565-48s (I replaced the HWT OPTS on my first REV C, as they have the same mounting dimensions).

http://www.diytube.com/jalbum/ed/slides ... T%20a.html

They sound superb, as good (at least) as the originall Z565s would sound.
More precise testing will reauire the use of my IMD and Harmonic Distortion analyzers (old refurb'ed Heathkits).

One suggestion, at least for the "standard" 8X12 chassis configuration for the DIY-35, is that the OPT's primary plate and UL leads should be about three inches longer. The green/white and blue/white leads are *just* long enough to reach the PCB terminals, but the blue and green leads are about 3 inches short. This is OK for a Dynaco ST-35 or SCA-35 replacement, or if a longer (16X8) chassis is used and the OPTs mounted at the ends of the board, as in this case:

http://www.diytube.com/jalbum/ed/slides ... T%20a.html

but too short otherwise.

Thanks for another great product!

/ed brown in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Sounds great!

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:39 am

EWBrown wrote:One suggestion, at least for the "standard" 8X12 chassis configuration for the DIY-35, is that the OPT's primary plate and UL leads should be about three inches longer. The green/white and blue/white leads are *just* long enough to reach the PCB terminals, but the blue and green leads are about 3 inches short.

This is a good idea, Ed. I'm not sure if there's a standardized length manufacturers use, but I've always liked the Hammond lead length. Even though I end up with extra spooled under my chassis, I know they'll be plenty long even after several trimmings if used in new projects.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

save 'em

Postby EWBrown » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:08 am

I save the excess trimmed off tranny leads, if they're more than 3 or 4 inches long, they come in real handy for times like this. I was able to keep the color code on the too-short blue and green primary leads, just a crimp "bullet" and we're good to go...

Now, to decide to sell or re-use the HWTs in another project... Maybe into an SCA-35 rebuild someday, as they will fit the same OPT mounting pattern - though I;ll have to check the height first.

I'll probably get a couple more Z565-48s so I can use the Rev D board properly.

/ed brown
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Z565-48

Postby RustyIron » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:01 pm

Got my Rev.D up and running using PA-774 and Z565-48's from Uncle Ned. Built the whole thing completely stock (according to parts list).
Been running it in overnight and sounds great. Was expecting a little less since I've been running 2A3's ala "Afterglow" set amps. Started up immediately with no problems. Quiet as the proverbial church mouse. I feel these transformers are quite the bargain and make a really good quality amp using the Rev. D board. I'll be changing out the "orange drop" coupling caps with some Auricaps. Just standard OP for me as I can hear a big difference (more to my liking ) when using Auricaps. I think this one is a keeper.
:multi: Jumping for Joy
Russ
RustyIron

2 more!

Postby EWBrown » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:54 am

I liked them enough, that I got another pair. I also have in process a rev D board, using the same iron line-up (PA774, 2X Z565-48 )on a Par-Metal 16X8X2 chassis. The Chassis work is all done, just have to finish stuffing the board, which entails a small parts order to complete it. I'll also go with Auricaps - I've used them in a couple other amps and they make a big diffrence for a relatively low cost upgrade.

In this physical layout (OPTs located at the ends of the board, the lead length is more than sufficient, as it would be for replacing iron in Dynaco ST-35 or SCA-35.

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Z565-48's

Postby RustyIron » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:45 pm

I did the 12 X 8 chassis and had to add wire to my blue and green transformer leads. It would have been nicer if they were about 1-2" longer but i've had to "lengthen" leads before (my fault) so no big deal. Still worth every penny.
Regards,
Russ
RustyIron

Postby Uncle Ned » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:21 pm

EWBrown wrote:One suggestion, at least for the "standard" 8X12 chassis configuration for the DIY-35, is that the OPT's primary plate and UL leads should be about three inches longer. /ed brown in NH

I just had to reorder the things and asked the factory to make the leads 6 inches
longer. No problem.

We've also got another product in the works, a smaller transformer that's about the
same size as the outputs you see on those Kenwood & Bogen receivers.
If you don't need response to 20 Hz (a lot of people don't, they have subwoofers
or they're using small speakers that don't really have any useful response below
60 Hz or so anyway), they'll be a bargain at $19.95. And, yes, they'll have the
screen taps...
Ned Carlson
www.tubezone.net
Uncle Ned

These ones?

Postby EWBrown » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:47 am

Must be these new ones, expected around Sept 15th?

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/tf65wscta48o.html

Count me in for a couple...

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to stereo 35