Ordered ALL PARTS - THEN get call that there are no PCB's!!!

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Ordered ALL PARTS - THEN get call that there are no PCB's!!!

Postby wicked1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am

Hi,
I ordered a diy st35 PCB from triode. Then the next day I ordered ALL the components and tubes. I have quite a lot of money put into this now.

THEN, two days later (now) I get a call from triode saying the PCB's are out of stock, and they have no clue when they'll be getting more.

Is there somewhere else I can get a PCB? Does anyone here have an extra?
Please help!!! This is about the worst possible thing that could happen! The one part that I can't get at 10 different places.. the one part that I can't build the amp w/out is not available!
wicked1

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:20 am

There is always an option of point-to-point wiring the amp, if you're brave and skilled enough.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby wicked1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:33 am

I know, Ive been thinking about it, but I want it to fit into the old SCA-35 chassis. If I were doing the standard tubes out the top layout, I would definitely try point to point. Unfortunately, I want it all to fit nice a flat inside this chassis.
wicked1

Postby mesherm » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 am

I know, Ive been thinking about it, but I want it to fit into the old SCA-35 chassis. If I were doing the standard tubes out the top layout, I would definitely try point to point. Unfortunately, I want it all to fit nice a flat inside this chassis.

If you are talking about fitting Shannon's DIY35 PCB in to a Dynaco SCA-35 chassis I wish you luck. I tried long ago and even after extensive hacking and cutting it just wouldn't fit. In fact I still have the chassis if you want it.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby wicked1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Someone had a PCB they didn't want, so I've got that now! YAY for internet communities.

Yes, mesherm, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I really hope I get it to work. My wife isn't too happy w/ the tubes out the top look of my existing amp. She's an architect and into the whole mid-century modern thing, so the old sca-35 case is perfect. Personally, I'm into glass and metal and glowing bits, but whatever :).

I see one person made a post saying they were successful. He wasn't very descriptive, but I think he remove all of the mid section... The part w/ the little walls that block of the front and back wiring mess. Then used aluminum angle bars to hold it together.

I was hoping to clean up and use the input selector, but now I'm betting that takes up too much space, too.

Well, if I destroy this chassis trying, I might just take yours. Send me a PM w/ your email address, and you might here back from me in a month.
wicked1

Postby nyazzip » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 pm

My wife isn't too happy w/ the tubes out the top look of my existing amp. She's an architect and into the whole mid-century modern thing, so the old sca-35 case is perfect. Personally, I'm into glass and metal and glowing bits, but whatever .

if she is an architect, she should appreciate "function over form", no? maybe you need to explain heat dissipation to her.
an automobile engine compartment would probably be sleeker if you moved the radiator to the trunk, but unfortunately there is a good reason why it is on the grill.
i can't imagine having all the st35 tubes inside the chassis, they run hot enough as it is, or maybe i'm not understanding the concept?
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby wicked1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 am

I guess the concept is no different than what dynaco was going for.. a working amp in that dynaco chassis! I could add fans, too, but not the big a$$ box fan on the top mod.
See, now this is becoming a challenge that I must solve.

Function over form.. Don't even get me started w/ that. That is a primary rule of design, but an architects idea of function over form is completely different than an engineers idea of function over form.
Thats an area where if Im bored an want a heated conversation, I can always bring that up.
I think it should be - "as much form as possible w/ out screwing up the function too badly."
Frank Wright would be the classic example. World renowned architect.. His houses were not comfortable to live in. He even preached function over form, but comeon, you couldn't build the house on the SIDE of the waterfall.. had to build it right on top? And comeon, you couldn't make a more standard roof on your office building that DOESN"T leak...
wicked1

Return to stereo 35