DIY ST-35 questions

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

DIY ST-35 questions

Postby RuralUrban » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:03 am

I'm sure this has been answered before, so please forgive me...
On the rev D PCB, what is the purpose of C14,15;R47,R48 ? What would their values be if they were installed ? I know they are not needed, just curious ? more RF suppression ?

The rev D PCB has locations for three terminal regulators in the cathode bias circuit, can they be used ? If so, what would the other changes be to utilize them ? Would they be standard LM317's or LM340's (the adjustable types) ??

Has anyone wired up Edcor CXPP25 OT's ? Will the primaries (Blue, Brown and their assoiciated UL taps) phase the same as the Z565-48 clones and hammond 1650's, or has it already been determined and experienced that they will be out of phase with these examples, and should be reversed so that I have an amplifier and not an oscillator ? I know there's always a 50/50 shot at getting it right, (or wrong if you're a pessimist) but I'd just like to know if the answer is already known ?

Why did my Triode ST-35 board and parts kit ship with 1N4007's, are'nt they supposed to be UF4007's ?? I'm aware of the difference, I just wonder if some testing was done and perhaps it was determined that there is no gain in using the UF's in this power supply ?

I know that the power supply is massively filtered as is, but, if using a C354, is there a limit on the amount of uF's that can be added, or will the CL90 protect the diodes in even a ridiculous case of insane overkill.(?) I am thinking of adding an SDS type add-on filter board, (My own breadboarded design, however) which is why I ask. Plenty of room since I am using a 10x17x3 chassis, which is really comfortable. I also realize that the law of diminishing returns apply, and more cap really wont make much if any difference. Why not, (?) is what I am looking for, I guess.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with any of these questions. This is my 2nd DIY ST-35, and it should be up and running in days.

R.U.
RuralUrban

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:10 pm

C14/C15 and R47/R48 are part of a low pass filter. Shannon says it's for a "triode design".

The three pin regulator would be a LM317. Do a search on the ST35 forum for LM317, and you'll find further details.

I hook up my amps with an 8 ohm dummy load (cemented resistor) and an oscilloscope. It's hard not to spot the oscillator, and the leads are reversed easily enough, thanks to the terminal block design.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:08 am

The extra step filter locations were put in for further modding, but honestly I've never used them. :)

I did build a LM317 ST35, as did Ed Brown, I believe. Search for that info.

With the low ESR filtering in the design, 1N4007s are probably fine.

How much extra capacitance are you thinking of? In the first section and/or second?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby RuralUrban » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks Shannon and Ty for the responses.

I did already stuff the board with the stock variable resistance bias scheme, but I love this amp so much, there will certainly be a wish for a third one in the future. The regulators seem like they would really be a no fuss solution, automatically biased correctly no matter how many times you "roll" tubes.

I also stuffed the board with UF4007's I had on hand, but thanks again for the info, the 1N's maybe can get used for an instrument amp in the future. Neither cost a fortune so no big deal.

I have four UCC 470uF@450V that I plan to parallel with each 120uF (C9-12), so the additional capacitance will (would) be applied to all three stages of the supply. (Unless someone strongly suggests this would be a bad idea). These electro's are one model better ESR than UCC's standard gen purpose caps. I am using one of the Antek toroidal PT's, which spec wise appear to be able to supply enough current for three DIY ST-35 amps simultaneously. Cant wait to hear how the Edcors compare to my first build, which used the Z565 clones.

Like my first go at the DIY ST-35, this amp is coming together just beautifully. However the final product turns out, I want to thank Shannon and anyone else who was involved in making this kit a reality for all of us. There is really little if any room for improvement, You took a great design and made it pretty much perfect. I have gotten so much enjoyment out of my first one, I spent all last winter trying to build speakers that would be worthy. Not sure I accomplished that, but its all part of the DIY bug that I have had for over thirty years.
Thanks,thanks, thanks -
R.U.
RuralUrban

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:16 am

I'd probably advise to just add the large cap to only the B+ stage at C10. First stage would probably blow diodes from inrush and the last stage will be filtered enough.

Thanks for the kudos!
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35