Easy mod for less gain?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Easy mod for less gain?

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu May 01, 2008 12:29 pm

My DIY ST-35 has too much gain. Or rather, it has too much for my current usage. In order to get remote controlled volume and input switching, I've added a used Adcom GTP450 to my setup. I still have the Radio Shack ALPS pot on my ST35, and I keep it set somewhere just past the middle. I find that during the listening I tend to do, the Adcom volume knob is usually around the 9 o'clock position. I wish I could get a little more range of motion out of the Adcom's volume knob. For the time being I suppose I could just turn the RS pot a bunch lower, but longer term I'd like to remove the RS pot entirely from the signal path.

Is there a quick and easy mod I can do to drop the gain of this thing a whole bunch?
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Thu May 01, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm surprised that you have so much gain ... does your Adcom have two sets of outputs ? I know some have a high level and low level output. I find I run my volume on the Adcom GTP-600 up around 10 to 12 o'clock most of the time. If you don't want to leave the R/S pot in line, make a fixed attenuator, measure the value of the pot at optimum level, and make the same thing out of fixed resistors.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Return to stereo 35