Photos of my build (Dynaco ST35)

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Photos of my build (Dynaco ST35)

Postby DerekVa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:17 pm

This is the Dyna ST35 that I've been building (or more accurately, procrastinating on) over the last couple of years. I finally had time over the last couple of weeks to finish it off. Thanks to everyone who helped answer some of my stupid questions, provided troubleshooting assistance and provided best-practices on such diverse topics as ground busses, wire-gami and chassis punching.

Under the hood:

Angle (beauty) shot:

Front:

Top:

Rear:

I realize that the chassis looks a bit "Handy at Home", but not bad for my first real foray into chassis punching. The spikes are temporary until I buy a set of VibraPod Cones.

Anything I can do about the grotty appearance of the PS transformer? I don't want to sand/scrape it because I don't want to screw up the interleavings, but I'm afraid to pot it because of heat buildup issues. I should have thought of that before putting it at the front of the chassis I guess. With the OPTs, I simply rubbed the tops and sides (not the bells) with a rag soaked in alcohol until the rust and crud was removed and then cleaned up with a black sharpie (4 coats).

-Derek

p.s. The driver boards had the 12DW7 offset slightly to the right (when viewed from the front of the amp), so that's why it seems like its listing. Unfortunately, they weren't mirror images. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13
Last edited by DerekVa on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerekVa

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Nice job ! There isn't much you can do about the power transformer. It doesn't look that bad really. Some of the brand new Hammonds are uglier than that !

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby DerekVa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:39 pm

TomMcNally wrote:Nice job ! There isn't much you can do about the power transformer. It doesn't look that bad really. Some of the brand new Hammonds are uglier than that !

... tom

Thanks, Tom! Coming from you, that means a lot! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12

-D
DerekVa

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:38 am

Nice amp! It appears you've got a rather intelligent chassis layout. The output transformers are far away from the power transformer. You've even oriented the driver boards to keep the small signal tube away from the PT. You chassis craftsmanship appears top notch from the photos.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby joeriz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:58 am

Nice work.

If you're really concerned about the appearance of the power xfmr (I know I would be...just how I am), you could pretty easily take off the end bells and spray paint them in the finish of your choice...gloss black, textured, etc. You could also finish off with new bolts and chrome/nickel cap nuts (and do all xfmrs so they match perhaps).

Just a thought....

Joe
joeriz

Postby TomMcNally » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am

Hey Uncle Ned are you out there ? We need more of these !

The nickel plated covers look great !
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby sorenj07 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 am

Or just hand-strip the endbells down to the steel like I do and then spraypaint your color of choice :)
sorenj07
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:40 am

I'd be reluctant to take the end bells off a tar-dipped PA774. With my luck, the thing would start buzzing after I put it back together.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby DerekVa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 am

Ty_Bower wrote:I'd be reluctant to take the end bells off a tar-dipped PA774. With my luck, the thing would start buzzing after I put it back together.

What about just replacing the bolts? If I'm careful, I think I can do it without messing up the rest of the tar...any gut feeling?
DerekVa

Return to stereo 35