done recapping power supply

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

done recapping power supply

Postby K-MAN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:44 pm

After along time trying to figure the best way to replace the filter caps in my SCA35 It's finally done! I used two JJ Electronic caps, 40/20/20/20 and 50/50. I went by what Roger Stevens did on his mod page and got a friend who's good at electronics to help do the wiring since it was a bit tricky finding room. I couldn't find a 50ohm resistor anywhere only this big 56ohm but it seems to be working good, and I'm staying with one cathode resistor for the moment. The B+ voltage seems high for some reason, it reads at 380vdc but my cathode current is spot on at 35mA so it must not be causing any problems.

K-MAN

Re: done recapping power supply

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 pm

K-MAN wrote:The B+ voltage seems high for some reason, it reads at 380vdc but my cathode current is spot on at 35mA so it must not be causing any problems.

Nice job recapping your amp. Today's line voltage tends to be higher than yesteryear's, so the B+ is correspondingly higher too. I've got an oddball power transformer in my DIY ST35. It really wants to be tube rectified, but I haven't got room for it. As a result, my B+ is usually over 400 volts. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

Keep an eye on overall dissipation. Keep it under 12 watts plate and 2 watts screen, and you should be just fine. If you see any parts other than the filament starting to glow red, then it's time to worry.
Ty_Bower
KT88

ICL CL-90

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 am

If you haven't already done it, it's a good practice to connect one of the CL-90 inrush current limiter in the AC primary side, in series with power switch and fuse (the "line" side" of teh primary). That wil leliminate the power-on "slam" and drop the normal operating lACine voltage a couple of VAC< which always helps with today's higher AC line voltages.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby K-MAN » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Does having seperate cathode resistors for each tube effect the sound quality much? I'm also wondering if it's possible to somehow bias the amp more towards class A?, It looks like the power transformer might not be able to handle the extra load though.
K-MAN

Return to stereo 35