What should I do with my SCA-35 ? I've owned it since new.

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

What should I do with my SCA-35 ? I've owned it since new.

Postby K.C. » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:45 am

I have an SCA-35 that my mom bought me when I was 16. We walked into a hi-fi store in Milwaukee and much to my amazement I went home with a shiney new Dynaco.

I re-tubed it once and it still sounds good. One of the tone controls buzzes when you touch it and the power light burned out. Cosmetically it's very good with only slight discoloration from age.

I took it off the shelf and tried it in my office after not listening to it for a decade and I'm trying to decide if I should leave it stock or rebuild it and mod it.

I have Quicksilver monos and a Music Reference RM9 that I really enjoy so I never really use the SCA-35. But it seems like a waste if I don't do something with it.

Suggestions ?
K.C.

Postby SDS-PAGE » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 am

If I were you, I would leave it as it is. You had it since you were 16, and it must have some sentimental values in it. You wouldn't want to butcher it by modding it or parting it out for a new project. That's for vultures like us.Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07

I would just keep maintaining it like retubing (like you did), recapping, and so forth, if needed. If you really wanted to mess with one, just get one on eBay. The SCA-35s can be had for fairly reasonable prices under $200. That's just my 2 cents on it.

-Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 am

It's an old piece of junk, not really worth anything at all. Especially the transformers - pure garbage. Just box it up and ship it to me, and I'll take care of it in an environmentally safe manner. :)

Just kidding. As Min said, I'd keep it stock for sentimental reasons if nothing else.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby K.C. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:04 am

So I guess I'll put it back on the shelf and give it more thought. It is pretty cool to still have it and it sounds OK.

Thanks for the replies.
K.C.

Postby crispycircuit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Your a lucky dude! And thank your mom! Keep it for the rest of your life and feel the love. Very few have had that wonderful experience. That's why there are so many nut balls on the these websites, buying all this gear they wanted as teenagers looking at Allied catalogs, etc... The kids these days don't get it??? Anyway, I have a Knight Kit Ocean Jumper short wave I got as a teenager. I'll never sell it....
crispycircuit

Return to stereo 35