Advice for new caps

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Advice for new caps

Postby K-MAN » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm on the final upgrade for my SCA35 now Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 . I took the old twistlock filter caps out and installed two JJ Electronic caps in there place and plan on wiring it like Roger Stevens did on his mod page. He says that he put a solder lugs on the caps mounting nuts and used them as the ground points. I've put a pic here on a terminal strip I've mounted on mine so I'm wondering if I just connect all the ground wires to this, but I heard somewhere the center tap should have it's own ground point with the first section on the cap to eliminate hum. So now I'm confused, I'd really appreciate any tips you guys might have.
K-MAN

Postby mesherm » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 pm

but I heard somewhere the center tap should have it's own ground point with the first section on the cap to eliminate hum.

If using a star ground you should have only one gound point. It is ok though to solder a wire from the two outer lugs to the center lug on that terminal strip and use all three of them for your various ground connection points.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Return to stereo 35