Television Sound

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Postby sbelyo » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:06 pm

What are you trying to get sound from? i.e. a cable box, sattelite receiver, or VCR (this would be your source).

Next, Is the source mono or stereo?

It sounds as if there and impedance mis match
Steven Belyo
sbelyo@hotmail.com
sbelyo

Postby sbelyo » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:30 pm

Hmm....

Well the output on the TV is most likely the problem. You have to figure out a way to seperate the audio signal once it leaves your cable box and then goes to the tv. The easiest way around this is to just replace the cable box for an updated one with seperate outputs. Most VCR's do this for you anyway.

Do you have a VCR?
Steven Belyo
sbelyo@hotmail.com
sbelyo

TV Toobs

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:43 pm

Joel M wrote:I was using the RCA stereo jacks on the back of the TV. There doesn't seem to be any audio out on the cable box.

Joel M

I admit near-total ignorance concerning TVs and Home Theater, but I'll guess these are line level outputs which need a preamp.

Oh yeah, I see no probs with a tube amp hooked to a TV. Even my <mom> mentioned the last time she was here that it "sounds real". ;) Those two-inch speaker cube 5.1 systems can't hold a match to it!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

TV sound

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:15 am

Are you sure that the RCA jacks on the TV are outputs and not inputs for a VCR or DVD? If you have a VCR, try the audio output jacks on that.

The typical line level output should be about 0.7V RMS, +/- 3 dB. YMMV

My TV has two sets of jacks (1 video and 2 audio each) but those are gozintas and not gozoutas. :lol:

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to stereo 35