Questions on a new ST35 build

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Questions on a new ST35 build

Postby amt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 am

Well Im finally going to build a diytube ST35 using my SCA35 iron. My first question is whether I should get the driver board and buy specced parts or get the complete parts kit from Triode. Are the parts in the kit simply the same Mouser parts? And is there much performance gain using upgraded parts?

Second question is whether a PAS3 phono section (standalone) has enough output/proper impedence to feed the ST35 without gain/buffering from a preamp. Id probably use a 100K Goldpoint inbetween the two. Not sure what the phono is capable of on its own, nor what the ST35 requires to drive to clipping.

Thanks for the help. I cant wait to get rolling on this!

amt
amt

Postby mesherm » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 pm

I was just measuring the gain of my PAS3 phono section last week. I was inputing a 20mv 1k signal and getting more than 5 volts RMS out so depending on your phono cartridge you should have enough gain to feed a high impedance input tube amp. In normal use, the phono board feeds directly to the line pre amp section input as does a CD player or tuner so I would guess you could treat it similarly.

As to the parts question, it depends on how many of the components you already have on hand. If you factor in shipping costs from Mouser it might be cheaper to get the complete kit. Mouser doesn't have the tube sockets and is sometimes backordered on trimpots and the screw terminal strips. I'm sure Triode uses quality parts. Unless you just want to use designer caps and resistors of course.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

sounds doable

Postby amt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:11 am

That sounds like plenty of voltage to drive the amp. Im going to build a Cinemag transformer based step-up for a MC and I think I will have more than enough gain.

Yes the kit w/parts will no doubt save quite abit of hassle. Im not all that interested in boutique parts right now, but having close tolerance parts is usually a good thing. I normally buy 5% resistors and match them myself. And a buddy of mine has a capacitance checker so I can do the same with them. But once you get a kit, you have to use what you get.

I suppose I will get the kit and if any of the components are way off, I can just replace those. And again, Im not sure how much it will effect the perform of the amp. Im just getting into valve diy so lots to learn.
amt

Return to stereo 35