Almost done!

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Almost done!

Postby K-MAN » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:31 pm

I've finished putting in new output boards on my SCA35 and I've just finished the phono board. I just need to put the phono board in and wire it up to the selector switch but I'm wondering if I need to redo the wiring since it's so old. I don't really like the selector switch setup since it looks like a maze of wires and contacts but I can't see any other way around it without tearing the whole thing apart. Here's a few pics so you can tell me if you think I need to do anything to it or leave it as is. Oh and here's a pic of the new stuffed board I just made.

K-MAN

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:31 pm

The stuffed board looks gorgeous. Very nice work.

The conductive traces on the input selector appear to be badly corroded. I'd spray the whole thing down with some good contact cleaner and work the switch back and forth a couple times.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby erichayes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:05 pm

Ty, I think that might be tarnish, rather than corrosion, but I agree that a good douche with contact cleaner, followed by a hit of control lubricant, is in order. I recommend CRC "QD" for the cleaner, and any of the Caig lubricants. The thing is, you have to hit the switch with the lubricant immediately after the cleaner, or the switch could seize up.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby K-MAN » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am

I'm suprised that such a tiny contact area on the switch can work ok for the signal. So would replacing all the signal wires help the audio at all or should I just leave it as is?
K-MAN

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:40 am

Switch contacts are tiny. That's fairly normal, near as I can tell.

I'd hit the switch with some cleaner and lube. If it seems to clean up OK, I'd leave the switch and the wiring alone. I've soldered in new selector switches, and it isn't much fun. There isn't much space to work, and the wire lengths are often much shorter than I'd like.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby K-MAN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:14 am

I've got all the wires soldered in except for one that was too short so I'll need to replace it. Whats the best thing to use to protect the traces from corrosion? I've heard some people use clear nail polish but I've never done it. I'm hoping that putting something on the traces might help prevent any shorts from developing too.
K-MAN

Postby erichayes » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Krylon clear works well, but I live a mile from the Pacific Ocean--where EVERYTHING corrodes--and I don't have problem with unprotected boards oxidizing.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby K-MAN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm mainly looking for something that might help in preventing shorts between traces since the voltage is so high.
K-MAN

Postby K-MAN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Well after allot of work I finally got it done and wired in. So now I have all new boards and components in my SCA35. But after I anxiously fired it up to my great dismay the same problem is still there! I felt like throwing the thing out the window but I know it must be something simple. It's strange because the turntable input has the channels fairly close in volume, but the high level inputs are really bad with the left speaker being about half the volume. So I tried swapping all the tube to the other side and nothing, but I did notice just now that the right channel has more hum than the left which gets very loud if I touch the insulated input wires going to the right board. If a coupling cap is faulty and and leaked dc voltage would that cause this problem?
K-MAN

Return to stereo 35