Picture of populated Rev C board?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Picture of populated Rev C board?

Postby ejfud » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:54 pm

Lets see those boards.

I would like to build my ST35 clone in a SCA35 chassis with a blank Dynaco faceplate. Any modifications or different placement considerations?

Thanks as always,
Gary
ejfud

Re: Picture of populated Rev C board?

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:30 pm

ejfud wrote:Lets see those boards.

I would like to build my ST35 clone in a SCA35 chassis with a blank Dynaco faceplate. Any modifications or different placement considerations?

Thanks as always,
Gary

Gary,

I haven't measured the inside of a SCA35 lately - do you think it would actually fit? All parts would be stuffed on the 'no silkscreen' side.

Shannon

Here 'tis:

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

It should

Postby EWBrown » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:33 pm

I did a quick, not real precise, check and it looks like a C will fit inside an SCA-35. The B was too large, and would have required serious mechanical surgery.

If the chassis was nibbled out to fit a C board, then the terminal strips and smaller components could be mounted on the downward facing side of the, if you don't want to or can't do any trimming and metal cutting, then everything should go on the tube side, and use short spacers to mount the board.

I have an SCA-35 I can measure and make sure, so don't rush off quite yet...

The preamp board and the selector switch and all the controls on the front have to go, the original volume and balance controls CAN be used,
but I suggest going with either no pots at all, or just a 100K-250K dual pot or stepped attenuator for volume. I also advise adding two "isolated" RCA input jacks and not to use the original RCAs, this will avoid any potential ground loops. There is plenty of real estste on the back panel to accomodate this.

THe original iron can be used as is, but some of the leads will have to have extra wire length added to accomodate the rev C board, depending on how the original assembler cut the wires to length and dressed them.

/ed brown
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

SCA35

Postby ejfud » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:15 pm

I have an empty chassis from a SCA35 that I can get for nothing. Thought I would give it a try.

I also have a blank (no holes) Dynaco silver faceplate that I though would look nice. Bolts right on. If not I also have the Hammond chassis available.

Got the PCB and chassis from Roy at tube4hifi.com. Great guy to deal with.

Thanks for all the help as always guys. I'm new at this and will need more I'm sure.

Gary :D
ejfud

Return to stereo 35