What Next???

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

i'm right behind you

Postby SteveS » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:21 pm

Hey - I am just about finished my ST-35 (expected completion when I get back home next week). I also have a bottlehead foreplay - w/ the usual mods including sweet whispers and C4S upgrades.

If you have done the sweet whispers upgrade can you tell me which set of resistors you used? I had built the FP to connect to my solid state amp, and I am guessing that I may need to redo the sweet whispers for the 0 to -30db resistors.

thanks
steve in vancouver
Stevo
SteveS

Caps upgrade

Postby EWBrown » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:51 am

I've upgraded teh caps in a couple of Rev Cs, to the Auricap .1 uF/450V
(or .22 uF/450V) , replacing the four "orange drop" caps. The two smaller 0.1 uF/250 v caps can be replaced in one of two ways: the cheap and easy upgrade is to simply use a wire jumper, which is fine as long as there is no DC voltage present on the output of your source. Otherwise use .1 uF 450 V auricaps. These are available from AES on www.tubesandmore.com and other sources. Cost is about $ 8 each. Another simple upgrade is to use the isolated RCA input jacks, that have the insulating plastic or fiber shouder washers to isolate it from the chassis, this eliminates any potential ground loops.

THose are my two favorite and not too expensive upgrades.

Hovland Musicaps can be used in place of the Auricaps, they are larger and longer, and a buck or twwo more each, but I can't discern any difference compared to the auricaps, but then my ears aren't the most finely tuned either. Too much louc rock'n roll, guitar playing and fireworks in my mis-spent youth... :twisted:

/ed brown in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to stereo 35