Please HELP

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

troubleshooting

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:21 am

Cleve,
-Can you actually see the filaments light up?
-Take a measurement (with test clips) across R34 & R35 (R43 on the Rev B). You should get around a 7V drop here. What do you see?
-Take a measurement (with a test clip) on the left and right of R33 and record those voltages.

Cleve, you don't have easy access to a digital camera, do you? A picture sometimes tells - you know. ;)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

REV C? Check the 0.1 ohm resistors

Postby EWBrown » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:18 pm

It sounds like the voltages are being delivered, but the tubes aren't lighting up. The 3.5VAC/7VAC is a possible tipoff, check that the two 0.1 ohm resistors are installed on the board, and that they are in fact 0.1 ohms and not a higher value. If you don't have the 0.1 ohm resistors, the locations can be temporarily filled with a wire jumper.

I had one weird problem a while ago, in teh phase inverter 12AU7 circuit, I placed 3.3K resistors instead of 33K. The amp had very weak fuzzy sound in both channels. Replaced then with the correct value, everything worked perfectly.

/ed brown
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

my worst fear...

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:41 am

The sockets are on upside down. Doh!

On the old Rev B I had a little message in the silkscreen reading, 'Sockets Other Side'. On the Rev C, I added the numbers and moved the 'Sockets Side' message to the other side, but unfortunately the silkscreen wasn't processed on that side. I was worried this might happen to someone - I'll be sure to draw even more attention to it in the manual (step 7).

OK, Cleve, if you don't have a hot air gun, removing the sockets may be difficult - you can send the board to me and I'll fix it. But, this will also change how you were planning to mount the board in the first place. Hmmm.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Actually...

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:59 am

At this stage (since your chassis is decided on) - I would suggest the 'cut n jumper' route. The jumpers would be on the underneath, so the rats nest would be hidden. Just get a sharp exacto and cut at least .100" out from the jumpered traces. You wouldn't have to cut pin 5 at least. :)

Your tubes have probably survived. Solid State wouldn't have made it though!! ;)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: fixed and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:01 pm

clevegilbert wrote:I removed the sockets and put 'em in right. Duh, I will not make that mistake again. The board it's on is a protyping platform, just to learn from. After fixing the sockets I put it all back together again.

BTW, how did fix the sockets? Did you use a hot air gun? Or cut the pins and replace the sockets?

Here's a quote for you: "There are those who have, and those who will." #-o

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35