Thinking of switching to diode rectification

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Thinking of switching to diode rectification

Postby patrickn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:26 am

So the first JJ GZ34 failed after about 6 months. I replaced it with a Sovtek and it lasted about a year. This is acceptable because I use it daily so they can be expected to fail at some point. The last Sovtek I put in lasted only two weeks! This is getting annoying. Are there any reliable newly manufactured GZ34s that anybody knows of? Anybody else have problems with these failing very soon?

I am using a 33uF for the first cap, 1.5H choke, followed by a 120uF cap for the input of the power supply.

Edit: The first JJ actually lasted almost 6 months, not 2
patrickn

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:13 pm

I would give the WZ34 by Weber copper can cap(http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html) that's a direct drop-in replacementfor GZ34 a try. At 22 bucks, it probably is cheaper than all those tubes that you fried.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby patrickn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:04 pm

That's a good idea! I was trying to think of how to make this an easily reversible modification. It doesn't get much easier than dropping in one of those solid state rectifier "tubes"
patrickn

Postby pacomus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:57 am

I bought a WZ34 Weber copper cap last week cos i want to know if it's suitable for my ST35-220v version.

I heard on that those solid state rectifiers need a stand by mode before a normal operation, but my ST-35 has no stand-by switch (see post "stand-by switch warning").

Could be any problem with that?
Pacomus
pacomus

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:25 am

pacomus wrote:...my ST-35 has no stand-by switch (see post "stand-by switch warning").

Could be any problem with that?

I don't see the lack of a standby switch on the ST35 as a problem, even with solid state rectification. The original Dynaco ST35 had no standby, used solid state rectifier diodes, and few problems were reported. Shannon's version of the ST35 includes a NTC device (the CL-90) which will help slow the rise of the B+ in lieu of a standby mode.

I'd just use the solid state rectifier and not worry about it.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to stereo 35