Hookup wire

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Hookup wire

Postby pro_crip » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:55 am

I just bought some hookup wire at rat shack rated at 300v and 80c, however I must have had a brain freeze :stoopyd: because there are voltages higher than 300 in the amp. Is it safe to use this wire or should I go buy wire with a higher v rating? TIA.

Rich
pro_crip

Postby erichayes » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:09 pm

Hi All,

This is where not having a pictorial of the board gets me into potential (no pun intended) trouble. 600 or 1000 volt hookup wire isn't that expensive; spare yourself possible grief and get some. Use the RS stuff to wire doorbells or HO train lights.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Re: Hookup wire

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:07 pm

pro_crip wrote:I just bought some hookup wire at rat shack rated at 300v and 80c, however I must have had a brain freeze :stoopyd: because there are voltages higher than 300 in the amp. Is it safe to use this wire or should I go buy wire with a higher v rating? TIA.

Rich

I think you will probably be alright with that wire, assuming you've got plenty of wire length from your transformer taps. If they are new it shouldn't be a problem.

The places where you would usually use hookup wire in one of the diytube designs:
- the RCA inputs (real low levels)
- to the speaker connections and NF (under 100V)
- from the fuse to the power switch and its connections (120VAC)

So if you aren't extending the transformer leads, you are fine. But there is no sense in not having some good stuff, like Eric mentioned. I see teflon coated 20GA and 22GA go for cheap on Ebay. I'd pick some of this up.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35