Standby switch question

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Standby switch question

Postby DG » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:15 pm

Ok, when you flip the main switch on, only filaments get power to "warm up" tubes prior to applying B+ by flipping standby switch ...... question is, is it better to turn the amp off by FIRST flipping the standby switch so that once again, B+ is removed but the filaments still get juice and then turn off the main switch?

Reason I ask is because I saw something where 2 switches were wired up for the same purpose as the standby in our 35 ..... however, in that wiring configuration, it didn't matter which switch was flipped first. In other words, flipping either switch would first apply power to the filaments only and then the second swicth would apply B+. Turning off was the same way ..... no matter which switch was flipped "off" first, B+ would be removed and filaments would still be powered until the other switch was flipped. Pretty neat actually but the reason I asked above is because it seemed that they were saying that it is also better to remove B+ first and THEN remove filament supply when shutting down.
DG

Return to stereo 35