Too cheap!!

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Too cheap!!

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:56 pm

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby DG » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:26 pm

I saw that .... after I just bought a pair of the same tubes from a california seller. I paid 19.99 which still isn't bad I guess, supposedly they are matched. I guess that's not really necessary though with the individual bias adjustments in the 35, huh?
I also bought a quad of sovtek EL84's for spares from Parts Express as I had to order some crossover stuff and small parts ..... $16 and change, not too bad either I guess.

I really do like the JJ's though :-)

In fact, I actually think I like the JJ 12AU7 better than my RCA side getter, clear top .... I've been rolling in the RCA and keep going back to the JJ .... weird huh.
DG

tubes tubes tubes

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:16 pm

DG,
When you have the Reflector's and the Sovtek's in your hand, compare them. I'm assuming the innards will look identical. I think the Sovtek's are made in what was the old Reflector factory. Of course, the Reflector's are probably 20 years older (NOS).
:idea: Give us a listening report comparing the two when you get a chance.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby DG » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:31 pm

Shannon, I think that's right ... Sovteks being made in an old Reflektor factory. I believe, if the info I got at one time is right, the 4 digit # under the tube type in the some, if not all, of the "NOS" Reflektor tubes is a date code indicating, in this case, year and month (as opposed to year and week) ie 8702 being Feb. 1987 manufacture. If that's the case, the Quad I just got range from 1987 - 1990.

I'll certainly report my impressions when I roll in and out the Sovteks and the Reflektors ...... I've read several "reviews" indicating sonic differences between the two types. There is definite difference between new Sovtek 6922's and structurally like 6H23n-EB's (1984) that I've used in one of my CD players.
DG

KW Tubes

Postby EWBrown » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:26 pm

I've seen some relatively good bargains from KW Tubes, but haven't yet bid on any. I have successfully completed other overseas transactions, so buying from Lithuania should be OK. In the past few years, I only got "burned" twice on E-bay, both were local to the northeast, and were low cost items, barely worth the effort to pursue. He definitely has some interesting stuff, mostly of old soviet era origin.

I wonder how those hefty graphite plate triodes would work out in a SE amp...

/ed brown in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby DG » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:37 pm

Haven't listened to em yet but the Sovtek EL84 and NOS russian (Reflektor) 6n14n are, as suspected, constructed identically.

The Sovteks came in a sleeve of 4 tubes. They are "factory matched". What I found interesting is that thee is a ratings system listed on the back of the box. It uses colors, red, blue and green. They say it's a 12 point color coding system. ..... unique to say the least :-)
DG

Return to stereo 35