Chassis Construction & Finishing Tips

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Heyco strain reliefs

Postby gogzhad » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Hey Ed,
Does the Heyco tool make the hole, put in the relief, both, or ? Where does one acquire one and are they expensive?
thanks,
dave
tu be or not tu be
gogzhad

HEYCO

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:46 pm

The Heyco tool is basically just a fancy set of pliers (they make several sizes) for squeezing the Heyco bushing on to the power cord and then inserting it into the hole, while the bushing is still "squeezed". The hhole has to be drilled or ponched first. I found my Heyco Bushing Squeezer at a local hamfest years ago. I would not have recognized it, but for having seen and used them at work back then. I have used pliers for years before than, usually with no ill effects except for marring the bushing.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby MLVA123 » Thu May 15, 2003 4:10 am

Just following up on this thread - did you guys ever complete your aluminum chassis painting 'experiments'? What is the final recommendation? Gogzhad was going to post pics of his Alodine finish, and I believe Shannon mentioned some pics of his Detroit Greenies! Also, you guys mentioned primer followed by epoxy paint - any particular type of primer? The guys/gals in the paint shop at Lowe's are really nice, but don't know anything about aluminum!

-Michael
MLVA123

primer question

Postby gogzhad » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:09 pm

As for the type of primer, as long as it is compatible with metal and the type of finish being applied, it should work fine. Make sure to clean, abrade, and then clean the surface again. The final cleaning should be with a non-oxidizing solvent, such as isopropyl alcohol, acetone, etc. Make sure the part is clean and dry prior to application, and follow label instructions for the paint selected. Epoxies will cure more completely if cured at elevated temperature - radiant heat works a little better than convective in most cases.
The alodine experiment is still in the backlog as an outbreak of chicken pox and an invasion of tent caterpillars have conspired to occupy all my non-working time for the past week or so. Hope to post it soon, though.
dave
tu be or not tu be
gogzhad

detroit greenies

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:14 pm

MLVA123,
Yeah, almost put them up last night when I did some web updates. Very soon! :)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Great metal finishing web site

Postby gogzhad » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:12 pm

I saw a a link to this site posted on the bottlehead forum - thought the diytubers might find it useful as well:
http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html
Looks like everything one could possibly want for plating just about anything.
cheers,
dave
tu be or not tu be
gogzhad

Previous

Return to stereo 35