Multiple inputs ...

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Postby DG » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:13 pm

They are Sylvania output tubes but come to think of it, they may just be EL84's .... I'd have to check. Just a thought, I probably wouldn't do it as I'm pretty sure I know what's up with the Scott. I really like it too ... I'll probably just fix it.

Alot of EL84's will run finr in that Scott .... life is a bit shortened but the JJ, and regular Sovtek EL84's will run fine and of course the EL84M from Sovtek plus the NOS russian tubes ... the EB's and EV's will run fine in there.
Last edited by DG on Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DG

schematic link

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:14 pm

http://www.hhscott.com/pdf/sd/299B_3_4s.JPG

Yeah, this guy is worth fixing.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby DG » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:21 pm

Yes ... I've had it for a while and really don't want to let it go. I have the schematic for it too.
DG

More old iron

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:26 am

I have an old (and somewhat rusty. musty and dusty) Fisher SA-100 that I rescued from the local dump a few years ago. It had suffered the indignities of some rather crudely performed modifications (mostly around the AC power input), and was missing the bottom cover and cage.

For a few years, it just rested on a shelf in my cellar. last year, I decided to see if it had any life left. I gave it the slow and gentle "bring-up" with a variac, and indeed, it still showed signs of life. The 7189s were a mixed lot, and sounded a bit "off", so I replaced them directly with some Russian made 6P14P-EV tubes, (the only attempt at matching was to make sure that the date codes were the same) and kept the original 7427s and GZ-34 rectifier, and reset the bias. It sounded much better. My original plan was just to salvage the iron and junk the rest, but as it works and sounds decent now, I'll hang on to it. The OPTs don't have the UL taps, so they won't be re-located to another DIY-35 project. The SA-100 has fixed bias, not cathode biasing.

The SA-100 wasn't the only item rescued from the dump, also was a Dynaco PAS-2X, also a bit ugly and slightly "hacked" and a n HH Scott FM mono tuner, which basically needed full re-tubing, which I did and it works great. The PAS-2X was fully operational, just needed to have the pots and switches "cleaned" with TV tuner lube, and all 4 12AX7s were Telefunkens! :D which sounded (and tested) perfect. The collection also included two rather ratty looking speakers, which someone else took, and he told me "you can have that old tube junk, I wouldn't bother with that stuff". I think I came out with the better end of the deal.

/ed brown in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to stereo 35